Saturday, October 25, 2008

Haunting who you are

For years I have been trying to be someone else, always failing (thankfully).  Haunting is no different and thankfully, I have failed at being someone else also.  

There are some that I consider masters of the haunt, Pumpkinrot, Brent Ross,  Terror Syndicate, Vile Things, and Tim Doggett of the Hallowed Haunting Grounds for some.  There are innovators, like Scott Axeworthy, creator of the Axeworthy Flying Ghost and of course, Doug Ferguson of Phantasmechanics, father of the Flying Crank Ghost as well as several other wonderful haunt creations.  I am not one of those people, and that's a good thing.  

When I started haunting several years ago, I tried to copy other's style and couldn't do it, or rather, shouldn't have done it but I didn't know better.   I was going for horror, undead things and it just didn't work for me.  To make a long story short, I went with my personality, playful, happy and more whimsical with a dark twist.  Come to find out, I'm becoming an innovator too, I created the Leer mechanism, Flaming Scarecrow 2.0 and Hitchin' Harry (a derivation of Doug Ferguson's wonderful hitching ghosts, ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS attribute credit where credit is due!) and am about to spring on the world Gentleman Jim.  All these are original pieces.  If I would have tried to be someone or something I wasn't, these pieces probably wouldn't have been invented and I wouldn't have been featured on Fearnet last year as one of the best home haunts.  

Be who you are, be what you are, be true to yourself and everything will fall into place.  

Mr. Macabre

No comments: