Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Tomato Pie Receipt

Did you know that back when they called a recipe a receipt? I ain't got the faintest idea why. The only receipts I have are the drive thru receipts I get for food that get lost in my truck (oh look, that's the Big Mac from 1994 that gave me heartburn for 2 days).
For some danged reason, everyone thinks that I need tomatoes. Don't get me wrong, I like tomatoes, a lot, but I don't know how to nor have the equipment to can them all and there's just so much spaghetti that I can stand. I went looking through some cookbooks and found something from Paula Deen (ate at one of her buffets, all the servers had tee shirts that said "I'm your cook, not your doctor" on them. Hysterical, unfortunately they didn't sell them). This effectively takes the healthy, wholesome goodness of a ripe tomato and neutralizes it with mayonnaise and cheese.

Problem? I didn't think so.

Tomato Pie
4 ripe tomatoes, sliced
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, shredded finely
1 prepared deep dish pie shell
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
1 cup Swiss cheese, grated (can use any kind you want, I used Swiss)

Layer tomatoes in bottom of pie shell, sprinkle 1/3 basil on top, repeat tomato and basil layer and finally one last layer of tomato. Salt and pepper. Mix cheeses and mayonnaise together and spread on top. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes until crust is brown.

Tastes better the next day after it sets and the flavors marry. Went well with the meatloaf that I had (although this was my first attempt at meatloaf and it turned out to be meatbrick).

Belch!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy... will definitely have to try that one! Much yummier, I might add, than the "meatbrick" LOL. Love that description! :D

The Captain said...

You had never made a meat loaf before? Wow! As for mater pie it sounds pretty funky to me, but I only eat tomatoes raw. Cooked tomatoes change their flavor and taste weird to me. I know, I'm a weirdo!