Saturday, January 17, 2009

Quote for the Day

From Kurt Vonnegut Jr.'s book A Man Without A Country via Pumpkinrot

"The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possibly can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."

Life as an artistic person is different, we thrive on creativity, on the creative process, making something. I personally get depressed when I don't create, I have to use my hands to make something, bring something new into existance, breathe life into clay, paint, steel, motors and wood so that I can show others a little bit of magic to their lives. Sadly, you can't easily make a living with the arts, some do but most of us don't. The society we live in right now in my opinion doesn't place high value on art. The first thing that's cut is music and arts programs in schools. Sad, so so sad.

So go create! Make others crave to do what you do! Show them what you've got! In this dismal economy and equally dismal January gloom, use the free time that you may have not to fret but to create something...anything!

Thanks to Pumpkinrot for sharing this inspiring quote.

2 comments:

Carrie Mae said...

cheers to this!

And in the spirit of 'dismal economy,' I've been spending all my artistic time writing and doing paper mâché. Because both are cheap and fun. :)

Mr. Macabre said...

I was freaking out because our business hasn't been all that we would like but I have taken the free time that I have to go to the shed and either sew or do the crafts that I'm otherwise unable to do because of time admist a thick cloud of wonderful incense and music.