Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I'm Back My Pretties!





Mr. Macabre is back from Mexico and it was an absolutely fabulous time. Contrary to what the news media and my mother was saying, it was not a drug-war-torn vision of a post apocalyptic nightmare in which no one returns alive. On the contrary, I could live there, easily. But I went on the prowl for Dia de Los Muertos stuff and it was surprisingly hard to find. I asked one guy about it and he says "Dia de Los Muertos?! The dead day?" like it was something freaky. I did find some cool pieces...

This is Catrina, I saw her in the flea market. One thing about the flea market that I learned VERY quickly is that the price asked is NOT the price sold, you haggled. A lot. It's like buying a car only worse. So I turned it over to the greatest haggler of all..Mrs. Macabre. Catrina started out at 140.00 US dollars and Mrs. Macabre got her down to 40.

This is a Tree of Life. With skulls. I saw this and had to go change my shorts. Started at 140. Ended at 35. Mrs. Macabre was on a roll.

This little guy is great, I bought another one for Ms. M who shares my love of Day of the Dead. Started at 80.00 each, ended getting 2 for 35.00.

The last day I went wandering in a small mall and ran across this guy. 200 pesos which is 16.66666 US dollars. I was at this time wondering where I was going to stow everything amidst the 6.00 a bottle Jose Cuervo and 8.00 a bottle Don Julio tequilas as well as other souvenirs and the many requests for Mexican vanilla (87 cents a pint. We are so getting ripped off on that stuff here in America). Customs must have either seen it all or just took a deep sigh at the weird gringo coming back home when they x-rayed my bags because they didn't say a word.

Mr. Macabre and his happy drink. I actually have the recipe for this pina colada and as soon as I find it, I'll post it. It's Mexican law that you have to drink a pina colada in a pineapple with a little umbrella in it amidst pieces of fruit.

5 comments:

suzanne said...

Welcome back! Sounds like you had an amazing time. Great finds! I may have to borrow Mrs. Macabre sometime. I HATE haggling.

Anonymous said...

Omigosh, you got the greatest stuff!! I think Catrina is definitely my favorite... and what a gorgeous shot of the hotel! Thanks so much for sharing - great post!

Oh yeah and..mmmmmm Pina Colada in a pineapple.... I'm THERE! :D

Ghoul Friday said...

Welcome back :) Love the day of the dead items.

PumpkinBrain said...

Welcome back! You found really cool stuff!

The Captain said...

$8.00 bottles of Don Julio and Dia de Los Muertos stuff, now I’m jealous! Welcome home.