Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Words of Advice

I wake up every morning to National Public Radio on my alarm and lay in bed for a bit to just hear the highlights of what is now a seeming never-ending stream of doom and gloom. I have to watch myself that I don't listen to too much news; it has a tendency to wear on me. Things start spinning around in my head and I get panicked about worrying about all of them with the economy in a tailspin and all. But I have one weapon, and if you haven't seen The Secret, please do because what I'm about to advise comes from it and I can attest it works...

Count your blessings.

I start by lying in bed and try to think of things to be thankful for. I have chronic osteoarthritis and sometimes my joints are so inflamed it is excruciating to walk, but I will be thankful for my limbs that I have and what I can do with them and then be thankful for the creativity I have been given and the people that I have in my life and the computer that I type on to blog with and hopefully entertain others and on and on until before long, worry is replaced by peace and happiness in spite of my losing all of my meager retirement recently. And I can be about as sarcastic and cynical as they come but for some reason, this works. Try it, what do you have to lose? We live in a scary time, and not in the good way. We also have a lot to be thankful for, not just now at Thanksgiving, my other favorite holiday, but all year long.

Ok, I'll quit now. Just wanted to share, I won't get preachy.

Tomorrow...Skeletons in my closet, another of Mr. Macabre's collections that makes his parents wince and wonder where they went wrong...

1 comment: