Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Before and After...








I grew up near a cemetery, which could explain a lot of why I am the way I am. I used to go walking in it, looking at the tombstones and wonder who these people were. Imagine my delight when I stumble across a forgotten cemetery near my house with graves dating back to the 1700's. The founders of the city are buried here as well as many of the first settlers and confederate soldiers. The whole place was overgrown, vines tangled around fences, trees grew wild above the graves and the leaves were ankle deep. There was talk that this place was haunted. Anyhow, I took pictures and enjoyed my visits. A mixed blessing has occurred, the historical society received a grant to restore the cemetery and repair the damage from decades of neglect. I am glad to see it repaired, the people there deserve better but I will miss the forgotten, haunted look that it had.

3 comments:

The Captain said...

Wow what a creepy beautiful find! I understand how you feel, your beautiful place is no longer yours alone and it doesn’t look like it did, but you respect that those people resting there deserve to have a nice gravesite.

Mr. Macabre said...

It's an absolutely beautiful cemetery and the last people buried there was in the early 1970's. I am anxious to see the restoration progress since it's only in the initial phase of it. And you are correct, it is creepy looking but oddly enough, with a sacred feel about the place.

Anonymous said...

Luckily you captured the Before in photos, very haunting. Reminds me of Dark Shadows...