Monday, November 10, 2008

Mr. Macabre's Deadly Sinful Cheesecake Recipe

A little background...I was NOT going to publish this recipe because I was going to open a bakery a couple of years back.  Things didn't work out (and looking back, THANKFULLY) and my closely guarded recipe stayed in the Book Of Sin (the name of my big black cookbook where I keep my recipes).  This is selfish of me and I now share my cheesecake recipe...don't be put off because it is involved, it is a bit expensive but it's WELL worth it:

Graham Cracker Crust
1/2 box Graham Crackers or Graham Cracker Crumbs (I use crumbs, I'm lazy)
1 stick melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
Crush crumbs to fine consistancy and add sugar.  Drizzle butter in slowly, stirring just until it gets to where it will hold together, like a sandcastle. Press firmly into the bottom of a springform pan (I used to go up the sides but now I just do the bottom). Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes. Take out and set aside.  Jack oven up to 450 and place a large dish of hot water on lowest rack...

Filling:
4 blocks cream cheese (room temperature)
4 eggs (room temperature, beaten)
8 ounces of sour cream (room temperature)
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 tablespoons flour (doesn't matter what kind, sifted)
1.5 tablespoons pure vanilla extract

In a stand mixer (or use a hand mixer or if you have bigger biceps than me, you can do it by hand) combine cream cheese, sour cream, baking powder, sugar, flour and vanilla and blend until very creamy.  Turn mixer to low and add eggs slowly, mixing JUST until all the yellow from the beaten eggs is fully incorporated.  DON'T OVERMIX!  Pour into springform pan and place in middle of oven.  Set timer to 15 minutes...no more, no less.  After 15 minutes, turn oven to 200 and bake for 1 hour.  DON'T OPEN DOOR!  After 1 hour check the cheesecake, it should jiggle slightly in the middle.  Take out and let cool.  IF YOUR TOP CRACKS...don't worry about it, they all do, I have seen Paula Deen's cheesecakes crack, it is normal and no big deal!  Take off springform pan and cut into slices, separating them...Next layer of sin...

Chocolate Ganache
1 large package semi sweet chocolate chips
1 small carton heavy whipping cream

Microwave chips and whipping cream, stirring every 20 seconds until fully melted (you don't want to boil, just melt well).  Drizzle over cheesecake slices (fill in those cracks, yum-mee!), let cool and solidify (at least an hour).  Prepare the last layer of sin...

Raspberry Tequila Sauce
1 package frozen raspberries (fully thawed)
juice of 1 lemon (use Real Lemon in the bottle or the little lemon squirter and I swear I will hunt you down, use a genuine lemon)
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar (more if you like)
1 to 2 jiggers tequila

Blend raspberries, lemon juice and sugar in a blender.  Strain out seeds.  Mix in tequila. Serve with cheesecake.  

Store in fridge but believe it or not, it's excellent cold but it tastes a lot better at room temperature.  

Enjoy!



3 comments:

Carrie Mae said...

Oh. Oh my. I'm making this. Soon. It sounds delicious and happy. :)

Mr. Macabre said...

Deliciously, wonderfully sinful...it sounds hard to make but really isn't.

Carrie Mae said...

Very few tasty morsels (especially those featuring cream cheese and chocolate) can scare me away from making them just by sounding hard to make. :)

I've had my fair share of cracked cheese cakes, and you know what? They still smacked of yumminess.