Thursday, April 16, 2009

Haunted Book Review Thursday

The Davis Graveyard

I not only have one or two books on Hallowe'en, I also have one or two DVDs on Hallowe'en too, about 3 full shelves full. This week brings to us The Davis Graveyard DVD, volumes 2007 & 2008.
Admittedly, I am a fan of The Davis Graveyard so this will be a bit biased. I really didn't know what to expect but was very pleasantly surprised. The main 'movie' is narrated by Christopher Walken reciting The Raven. The photography is gorgeous, simply gorgeous. This is a video that the Davis's give out to friends and family each year as gifts and have decided to make them available to their admiring public. There aren't any how-to's but loads of inspiration and ideas abound as well as news reels and make and a take tombstone party. I'm all about supporting the haunting community and would definitely recommend buying a video from The Davis Graveyard Store for year-round inspiration.




Halloween: A Grown-Up's Guide to Creative Costumes, Devilish Decor & Fabulous Festivities

Joanne O' Sullivan, author

Face it, we adults don't get too many Hallowe'en books each year. One or two at the most if we're lucky which is why I was so glad to see this one when it came out. Its avant-garde approach to Hallowe'en is refreshing. The book is loaded with full color pictures throughout and clear how-to's. The New Orleans Voodoo Cocktail Party idea is worth the price of the book itself (I'm partial to New Orleans and the magic and mystery that town embodies). I also like the Day of the Dead dinner party, I might have to break into her home and steal her skull decorations. There are some templates in the back for some of the projects (although none for the mantle graveyard project which is absolutely wonderful). The only thing that I have issue with is that it is a little heavy on the costume section, about 2/3 to 3/4 of the book. I would have liked to have seen more decor and party ideas (alas, there are only 3)but otherwise what is there is worth having for future reference and inspiration.

The rating for this book: Between-You can get some good ideas and use out of it with a little effort and You're going to need a cigarette after reading it basically because the decor ideas are great and the costumes are very good but the book is a little unbalanced and some people (as I) would have liked to have seen more of the decor.

1 comment:

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

Ah, thanks :) We really appreciate the support.

Wait, I do believe you just reviewed a Halloween book I do not own....how did that happen? :)