Thursday, August 6, 2009

Haunted Book Review Thursday (Ok, so today's Friday)


The Big Book of Halloween: Creative & Creepy Projects for Revellers of All Ages

Laura Dover Doran, author


I've had this book for a number of years and it's one of those books that just has a good "feel" to it. This lavishly illustrated book has a menagerie of varied projects, recipes, articles on Halloween aficionados, and a several projects that are actually cool. My personal favorite things are the rural ghost stories that are interspersed throughout and the abundance of trivia. I'm a nerd that way. Yes, there's some things in there that will make you roll your eyes but they are few and far between. Ms. Doran has done a wonderful job of making a family-friendly book that isn't hokey.

If you're looking for a hard core project book that will turn your house into a scream fest or blood bath, this isn't it; this is the book that you look at between making batches of decaying flesh in which you just say ahhhhh, that's nice. It's one of my favorites.

5 comments:

Diane said...

i like books like that, with lots of pictures and all different stuff to try or read about.

just how many halloween books are on your shelf Mr Macabre?

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

Again....how did I not have this one!!! I am off shopping!! Thanks again. I love this feature on your blog!!!

Thanks, you are the BEST!!

Cheers!

Mr. Macabre said...

Just a quick rough count, not counting periodicals and stuff I recorded off the TV, roughly 48 books directly related to Hallowe'en and 53 DVD's.

My name is Macabre and I have a Hallowe'en addition.

PumpkinBrain said...

Wow, that's a big collection you have there Mr. Macabre. You should consider to start a library. I'm sure it would be a "première", imagine the first 100% Halloween library ever!

The Captain said...

I need to ask that fat guy who brings present during the winter to bring me books. I have maybe three Halloween books and thats it :(