Sunday, July 12, 2009

Alexander Henry Halloween Fabrics






For those of us that like to sew, it's usually hard to find fabrics that fit our particular darker and spookier lifestyles. Alexander Henry is one of the only fabric company designers that I know that consistantly comes out with really fantastic prints. This year he has graced us with a skull arabesque which I will definatly grab a couple of yards and something for the ladies (or gentlemen, dependant upon your tastes) which is the Halloween Hunks fabric.

Just Google Alexander Henry Halloween fabrics for a retailer. I have used www.Virginiaquilter.com as they have always given me good service and pricing. I would have offered up Hancocks but the employees at my local one act like it's a chore to wait on you and that it would be a privilage to you if they should stoop so low as to answer a question.

Oh, don't think that I can sew? Don't think a guy can run a sewing machine?



This was an 18th century wedding dress for Ms. M I made from scratch in '92. I think it had an internal corset as well as side 'pillows' at the hips and a 20 foot train. It's not as pretty as she was (and is) but it was my "rite of passage" garment. I'm working on a wool frock coat right now for myself as Mr. Macabre needs one to complete his creepy ensemble.

9 comments:

ShellHawk said...

Amazing sewing job! OMG!

Loved the fabrics, too! Was looking at similar at Olvera Street yesterday with a friend. Very sorry to be put on a spending diet as I found a kicky little halter dress in pink with white skulls. Very delicate pattern! $50 bucks for it, though. Oh, well.

Good luck on the frock coat!

Mr. Macabre said...

Why thank you! I love to sew, it's relaxing for me but I don't sew something if I can buy it in a store usually. I'll post more costume pictures as I run across them.

Carrie Mae said...

Ooo... I wish I could sew. :) You are the coolest, Mr. Macabre.

suzanne said...

You, sir, are one talented individual! Can't wait to see the frock coat.

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

OMG...I am impressed beyond words...truly! That gown is gorgeous, Mrs. M is gorgeous, and I am ashamed of myself for never learning to sew. I think you should sew yourself a suit like the one Gary Oldman wore as Count Dracula in the Bram Stoker version. What a dandy of a suit that was, complete with top hat and those cool specs. Again...how impressive! :o)

PS... You should sew and sell costumes...in your spare time of course...ha!

Whitney Josephine said...

That wedding gown is a stunning accomplishment. Wowz.

I recently found myself some black-and-white bandana-ish, skull-patterned fabric, which I've been going nuts with...

The Captain said...

I saw all those fabrics at Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts over the weekend. Laughed at the hunky one, even called Jen over and we laughed together! I would like to start making holiday quilts. I dabble at sewing, but I don't think I have the patience to make clothing.

You never cease to amaze, that dress is freaking incredible!

Mr. Macabre said...

Wendy...what is "spare time"? I have thought about making costumes in the past but by the time I figured in time and material costs, they would have been astronomically high.

Sewing isn't hard, it's about tricks of the trade. The cardinal rules are: NEVER look at the needle on the machine when you're sewing, always look at the guide line, cutting out the fabric carefully and accurately is a must, pressing is the difference between bad and great results and a stitch in time saves a ton of handwork with a seam ripper!

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Ahh yes.... the SEAM RIPPER....now there is the ONLY tool I became well acquainted while making my few attempts at learning to sew! :o)